Hurricane Matthew - Crisis in Cuba
October 19, 2016
- The category 4 storm moved slowly but fiercely over eastern Cuba on Tuesday October 4th with sustained winds of 230 kph and gusts over 300 kph.
- In the municipality of Baracoa, 90-95% of homes and structures were severely damaged and approximateley half were destroyed.
- Camino Global serves with Cuban church and ministry partners who are responding to the urgent need.
Church and ministry leaders in Cuba report that Hurricane Matthew's incredibly strong winds, swollen and overflowing rivers, and torrential rains left enormous destruction, especially in the easternmost part of the island. The Eastern Baptist Convention has 87 churches in the hardest hit areas. The municipalities of Baracoa and Maisi were hit especially hard, with nearly total devastation.
The electrical system has collapsed, food and water are scarce, and the expected harvests of coffee, cocoa, coconut and fruit were destroyed. Among the greatest urgent needs are sheets of zinc for roofs, portable generators, mattresses, water filters, dehydrated fruit, powdered milk for infants and food.
The need is urgent.
- that the Lord will strengthen the pastoral leadership of Cuban churches and ministries at this moment of great need.
- that God will move in these areas the church's demonstration of love and good works.
- for sufficient help to reach these areas.
And consider a gift to help.
Will you stand with our Cuban brothers and sisters? Your gift will help the Church in Cuba help those in great need.
Camino offices in Canada and the U.S. are mobiliing together to respond to this crisis.
Donors in Canada: Click here to give now.
Designate your gift for "Cuba Response", Project # 062322
Donors in the USA: Click here to give now.
Emergency Relief Fund, Project #062250
Camino is directly involved in helping with relief in the aftermath of this tragedy. Your gift to the Emergency Relief Fund will help the mission respond with God's love and hope to the present and long-term needs related to this crisis.
Did you know? In Scripture, Christ refers to Himself as the Camino: "I am the Way / Yo soy el Camino." - John 14:6